Wednesday 14 January 2009

Animal Collective

Photobucket

I went to see Animal Collective at the Art School last night and could not have been more satisfied musically - bringing Beach Boys-like pop harmonies, pulsing Wolfgang Voigt-like rhythms and ethereal folk together with the same experimental ethos as any krautrock pioneer. There was even a nod to Chicago house with the Frankie Knuckles sample on 'My Girls'.

Most encouraging of all was their refusal to play anything from their back catalogue, frustrating as this could be to any fan who's not heard any new material, I would defy anyone in the room who claimed not to have been blown away by their performance. This may also be down to the fact that the new album, Merriweather Post Pavilion is their most accessible to date - an album for girls as they claim.

I liked that their was little audience interaction and although effective, their light show was pretty simple. The main focus on the night was the music and despite it being a freezing night in January, I'm sure that almost everyone left with the same glowing summery feeling as I did afterwards.

Also, in this day and age - where the familiar glow of the Apple sign has became a representative for pre-programmed 'live' shows - I should note that there was not a laptop in sight on stage and both Avey Tare and Panda Bear were at various stages at home playing bass guitar, drums - as well as an abundance of sequencers and samplers.

I struggled to choose a track from the new album as it's so strong I could have picked anything from the sublime 'My Girls', catchy 'Guys Eyes', the awesome 'In The Flowers' or the infectious 'Brother Sport'. I opted for Summertime Clothes though - grab it here;

http://www.zshare.net/audio/541340692ffda0ca/

3 comments:

  1. Ten minutes after posting, I read Alexis Petridis' review of the London show from the previous night; http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/jan/14/animal-collective-koko-review

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good review.

    Would have went myself had I been in Glasgow. I pray for a Panda Bear solo tour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been working on it for a while. But it's not looking likely anytime soon. He probably won't do it unless he's got new material to try out, so I'll just need to keep asking in the hope that I ask at the right time...

    Seen the Panda Bear show the last time as the main AC dude had a sore throat, so they done a PB one instead. Check out the new album though - definitely on the same wavelength as Person Pitch. Apparently the other Animal Collective members were inspired by that album to do something similar and it's telling when you hear it...

    ReplyDelete